r/gaming - Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver - This needs a remake!!

Neo

There are many great games that have, unfortunately, been lost to time or fallen into obscurity. However, following the recent acquisitions of several franchises previously held by Square Enix by the Embracer Group, I have hope of a title close to my heart which deserves the full-on remake treatment; Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver.

The name may sound familiar to some, or completely alien to others. But those who experienced this back when it was released on the PS1 are nodding their heads in approval (I see you, don’t worry), why I gush about this title, and why it needs a remake.

You play as Raziel, a vampire lieutenant serving the titular Kain as his second-in-command, who was the protagonist of the first game, Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain. Following Raziel’s evolution, which results in him possessing new bat-like wings, Kain violently rips them off in an act of supposed jealousy and orders his execution by being cast into the Lake of the Dead by his brethrens, an sentence that causes his transformation from a blood-thirsty vampire to a soul devouring wrath, Following his need for revenge, Raziel scours the land of Nosgoth in search of Kain and his brethrens, acquiring new abilities to explore more of the world, a structure that is synonymous of the archetypal Metroidvania genre of games.

Even this synopsis doesn’t do the game justice.

You may be asking “Why not remake Blood Omen first then?”. Although I can understand why you may be asking this, the truth is Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver was light years ahead of its time and was frankly too ambitious, which resulted unfortunately in almost a third of the game having to be removed. This has hit home even harder upon recent discoveries of alpha build that still had these, now legendary, deleted areas, which just causes more heartbreak when thinking of the true potential of this title having to be sacrificed to get the game released on time.

Its influence can be seen and felt in many great titles released since. The likes of the Souls franchise, Metroid Prime, Darksiders, Hollow Knight, all display the same DNA that was present in Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver. Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver was one of the first 3D games that had no loading; you could roam throughout the land of Nosgoth without any interruption. Its dark, gothic hellscape just dripped with ambience and texture that was tangible, which when you consider this was all achieved by a PS1 title, is an amazing achievement in itself. It was easily one of the earliest, and best, 3D metroidvanias which still stands the test of time.

Remember how the Demon’s Souls remake was just such a powerhouse of a remake when viewed alongside the original? I loved Demon’s Souls on the PS3 but the remake took the original to heights I never thought possible. Just imagine if you will; the visual clout and prowess of the Demons Soul remake, the atmosphere and tone of Bloodborne but using the Legacy of Kain mythology as its source material, the intricate level design of Metroid Prime, the scale and vastness of Elden Ring, all with the outstandingly velvety voice acting the title was praised for, which was like having honey poured into your ears. All stirred together to produce what could arguably be an amazing remake to behold.

Embracer Group/Crystal Dynamics, whoever now has control over the LOK franchise. Do a kind favour to this now ageing 35 year old gamer and lets see what Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver would look and play like in 2023 or beyond.

submitted by /u/daz-crypto
[link] [comments]

View the full article